COMING SOON: We’re building the Everyday Allyship platform, a supportive space where women can have their voices heard about how they’re doing during Covid, find information about support services that can help them, and access expert advice on how to ensure others are not alone during lockdown.
Please tell us how you’re doing, and be part of building the platform.
Keeping women and girls safe during coronavirus
What is UN Women doing to help?
UN Women is working closely with the World Health Organisation and UN country teams to:
- Collect gender- and sex-disaggregated data on the effects of COVID19 so that global and national efforts can respond to women and girls’ needs
- Provide technical expertise to support risk communication and community engagement with women and marginalised people
- Run programmes to ensure women do not become economically marginalised, and remain resilient throughout this crisis.
We are also working with the data from Ebola and Zika to learn what needs to be done differently for vulnerable women this time.
This work urgently needs funding support, so that we can make sure that the needs of women and girls are recognised and addressed in the global COVID-19 response.
We understand that many are stretched financially at this time, but if you would like to support us to do this, please give what you can.
In the UK
Our Safe Spaces Now project is all about collecting data and stories of real women’s lived experiences of safety from across the UK, and creating solutions to create safer public spaces.
Allies are a huge part of this. Lots of you have been getting in touch with us to ask how you can:
- See the data on the issues women are experiencing during COVID-19
- Share advice about how to reach out to people in your local community who need help, including easy triage to critical services, and avoid them becoming completely isolated
- Access tips, ideas, and inspiration from on how we can all be better allies and ensure no one gets left behind.
That’s why we’re building the Everyday Allyship platform: a way to bring people together to be everyday activists using digital technology. You can contribute by sharing your tips, and telling us about your services and charities.